Do you seek the best SEO practices for your eCommerce website?
Discover strategies to rank your products on the front page of Google.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a must strategy if you own, manage, monetize or promote an online business.
Whether you are a small business owner, digital marketer or one passionate about what SEO is, and how does it work? I have written this article for you.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a type of digital marketing used to gain organic traffic in search engine results pages.
By organic, I mean a natural way of getting people to visit your website without the influence of ads.
Before now, people used all manners of techniques to get their website above others.
But search engines now have better algorithms to rank quality content over bad ones.
Thus, it becomes important that you work with the best practices in SEO laid out by Google, Bing, Yahoo, and more.
By doing this, you avoid penalties and enjoy a higher ranking of your eCommerce website
You built your online store and optimize it for SEO.
So, any optimization you want to do should aim at making it easy for them and search engines to read your content and products, descriptions.
That’s because the entire essence of optimization is to help search engines understand and present your content.
By the end of this article, you will learn of the best SEO practices to get your online store to the front of Google.
Best Google SEO Best Practices For Ecommerce Websites In Nigeria
1. Get A Fast Mobile Responsive Website
Is your website mobile responsive? I mean, does it fit into screens of all sizes?
If you want to benefit from all SEO best practices I will be listing here, it starts with you building a fast mobile responsive eCommerce website.
How does your website design affect ranking on Google?
Because if your website’s layout is not first-mobile, your contents will look deformed.
Another thing you should pay attention to is your website speed–it’s very crucial.
Your customers don’t want a slow website – not even you.
Your website design affects users’ experience, which in turn affects your search engine rankings.
Poor web designs lead to a decrease in SEO rank.
I had several shares of this. One was when I add a particular widget and had lost 512% of my traffic in 9 days.
The only reason I could detect early was that it was the only change I made on the site that week. So, it was easy to trace where the errors are from.
SEO Best Practices For Your Ecommerce Website
- Ensure your website loads in 3 seconds or less
- Stay away from vague titles like “Untitled”, “New Post 1”, “Home”, etc.
- Give your website a simple and clear navigation.
- If you can, stick with white background and dark text – it converts more.
- Focus on readability by proper text font and size.
- Disable your internal website search result from search engine crawl.
- Add schema markup. It is the code that describes your content to search engines.
- Use quality images, as you can see on this website.
- Maximize internal inking – the act of introducing visitors to other pages on your website using links.
- Make your website accessible – for crawlers to index.
Website design affects search engine rankings, which also has a direct impact on your business.
2. Be The Most Relevant In Your Topic
One of the most hidden SEO best practices
Without relevancy, you cannot become an authority on search engines.
When you think of Messi, what comes to your mind? How about Michael Jackson?
The same applies when ranking an online business that pays in Nigeria.
Relevancy is so important that it influences the traffic Google sends to you.
You can rank high, get lots of visitors, and still not make any dime from your store.
Which means you are becoming relevant on the wrong topic.
Let me give you an example:
Yet the second has generated over 450% income compared to the first.
Article about the cost of an online store is more relevant to me than the other even though they are similar.
So, how do you become relevant and rank on search results?
Niche in your content to target users interested in your products or services
Be the most relevant results for keywords you are targeting, and Google will reward you.
3. Create Unique and Readable Contents
Digital marketers say, “Content is king.” But I say, “Relevant content is king”.
Search engines care about good content. Contents that are informative and engaging.
And in return, they bless the host website with lots of free visitors.
But how does Google know what content is best? Among many factors, they check the bounce rate.
Bounce rate is the percentage of users who visited a page and leaves without other pages. It does not matter how long they spend on that page.
A page with a high bounce rate tells Google that the page content is poor. The worst is when people press the back button on your page content and return to the search result page.
Also, there is no specific number of words you are to write to rank on Google. Though, Google favours longer, unique and readable content.
Neither would have a few pages on your website prevent you from appearing on the first page.
Now, let me tell you something. It is better to have a few posts with longer and unique content than many posts with few content counts.
Because, a good article of 2000 words will, of course, do better than another of 500 words.
SEO Best Practices To Optimize Your Contents
- Go for the long-form article–It pays the best interest.
- Publish blog posts at least once a week, or at worst in two weeks.
- Update your product description and other details at least every 3 months.
- Use actual images to engage users for a longer stay.
- Increase engagement by offering solutions to their problem in your content.
- Always proofread and spellcheck your content before publishing.
- It is the best SEO practices to use at least one keyword in every 250 words.
- Use paragraphs and subheadings to organize your content flow.
- Avoid copying content from other websites–Google will penalize you.
- Always remember that less is more–focus on quality.
Lastly, there has been a misconception about whether we should write for humans or search engines?
Use the Hybrid approach – A system of writing for humans but optimizing for search engines bots.
When you sit to write, do so completely with humans at heart. Put your ideas together in simple, understandable words.
When you finish writing, start optimizing the content for search engines using acceptable SEO best practices.
4. Optimize Your Images With Best SEO Practices
If there is one source of traffic most marketers are not paying attention to, it is image search.
You need to mark up your website images with the Alt attribute such that search engines understand what the image is about.
An alt attribute is an HTML element you used to provide more information about an image for users who can’t view the image.
Sometimes images get deleted and file corrupt. Other times images don’t load completely because of network issues.
This is where the Alt attribute helps. It shows a description of the image, enhancing the overall experience of the user.
5. Choose Long Tail Keywords
SEO keywords are in three stages:
- Head (1-2 keywords),
- Body (2-3 keywords),
- Tail (4-7 Keywords).
Head keywords have the highest number of searches and the tail with the lowest. But long-tail keywords convert (sell) better.
If you are in the football equipment business, trying to rank for the keyword, football, is a waste of time.
Because, Football is a head keyword – a generic term.
When you search Football on Google – all you see are live scores and trending news.
How about ranking for black football shoes?
That becomes a body keyword–still not the best practices in SEO. Instead, go for long-tail keywords like:
- Adidas black football shoes on Jumia or
- Nike running shoes under N5000.
Those are more specific and show the user is ready to buy.
But in cases where you can’t find a good long-tail keyword, you can make use of its body keyword.
6. Rank For Transactional Search Queries
Search Queries are of three types:
- Navigational Search Queries
- Informational Search Queries, and
- Transactional Search Queries.
Navigational queries are search queries with predetermined results. In most cases, they involve searching for a brand.
When you type Jumia Black Friday on Google, you most likely already know what you are looking for.
So Google presents you with the official website of Jumia.
Information queries involve a user finding information about a broad topic.
So a user searched, “How to start a business in Nigeria”.
What the user seeks is a step-by-step guide on how to start a business – from name registration to idea execution.
Transactional queries are search queries that show a user is ready to do business soon.
So, a user searched for “Samsung Tablet price in Nigeria.”
This user already knows what he wants and the brand he prefers.
So, he is closer to buying.
To enjoy free traffic to your eCommerce website, focus more on transactional queries.
7. Optimize Your Title Tags For Faster Ranking
The first thing you see when you open a product page is the title tag.
Also, this title tag is what you see on Google before clicking on the website link.
It helps you know what you should be expecting.
Though, you can make your SEO title tag different from your product page title using the Yoast SEO plugin.
But for an eCommerce website, it is best you leave it the same.
Best SEO Practices To Make Your Title Great
- Avoid stuffing keywords into your page title.
- Keep your title between 50-60 characters (7-10 words).
- If you can, include your keyword at the beginning of your title.
- Your title should educate users about the page content.
- Stay away from using clickbait to make people visit your website.
- Always include numbers in your page title–it helps.
- Update and tweak your titles when you notice a certain trend.
Ensure your product title is easy to understand.
Another of the best SEO practices, according to digital marketing experts, is to use a relevant short title.
Because mobiles will truncate long titles since they have limited space.
This remains one of the best On-Page SEO Practices to rank your eCommerce website.
8. Write An Easy-To-Read Meta Description
While Google confirms meta description is not a ranking factor, it is still key in user experience.
A meta description gives a brief introduction to what the page is about. That’s why it’s so important because it draws in visitors from Google.
It is an excellent way of persuading search engine users to visit your site.
Also, it becomes more vital in website listing and advertisement on Google.
SEO Best Practices Meta Description
- Make your writing sound appealing; not spamming or exaggerating.
- Limit your meta description to 120–140 characters for the sake of mobile users.
- Own a unique meta description for each product on your online store.
- Ensure search engines’ bots can crawl and index your web page.
- When writing, stay away from generic or unrelated description.
Last, to avoid Google using data from the Open Directory Project as your meta description, tell your web designer to use the code below sitewide.
<meta name=”googlebot” content=”noodp”>
9. Use Heading Tags In The Right Order
Heading tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6) are important On-Page SEO best practices.
It is vital to the ranking of your web content.
H1 is the largest and has the biggest weight on Google. While H6 is the smallest with the lowest impact.
To determine your page content, Google looks at your heading tags to see what keywords are most common.
So, it becomes crucial that you align your heading tags in order. You start with H1, then H2 and H3 and more.
Don’t use the heading tags as a replacement for the bold tag.
If we build your online store, then we include the heading tags as part of our SEO services.
So, you don’t need to use the H1 tag again in your content to avoid duplicate conflict with the title tag.
About H2 tags?
We use H2 tags for subheadings to break down content for easier understanding. And you can only have one H1 tag, but many H2 tags.
Another of the best SEO practices is to use your long-tail keyword in your H2 heading tags at the beginning.
So, if your long-tail keyword is Ecommerce Website in Nigeria, then your title tag (H1) can be:
And your H2 headings can be:
- What Is Ecommerce?
- How Does Ecommerce Works In Nigeria?
- Benefits Of An Ecommerce Website To Small Businesses.
10. Choosing The Best Domain Name
While keyword domain name can be beneficial to your website SEO, it’s brand for branding.
In some cases, I encourage that you buy a clean expired domain name with 15-50 DA.
The problem here is it will lead to more scrutiny from Google, which may bring about a negative ranking.
There are lots of them expiring every day. You can use the free tool Domcop to check.
Best SEO Practices On Domain Name
- Register with the right domain provider with 24/7 support.
- Avoid hyphens (oluboba-ayodeji.com) as it looks spam.
- Get a short and easy to remember name.
- Choose top-level domain names (Oluboba.com) over others (Oluboba.name, Oluboba.biz, Oluboba.info and more)
- Make sure you operate your domain without the www prefix. Such that www.oluboba.com it will still redirect to oluboba.com.
These are some SEO best practices and techniques, so Google doesn’t see your domain name as two different sites.
11. Customize URL & Internal Linking Structure
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. It is the unique link you click on to go to a specific page or web address.
For example, here is the URL for my article on Business Ideas in Nigeria.
SEO Best Practices On Linking Structure
- Including your keyword in your URL, especially at the beginning, without stuffing.
- Stay away from generic anchor text like “Learn More”, “Click Here”, “Page” or “Article”.
- Also, make it short and descriptive. Descriptive in the sense that people can know what the content is about looking at the URL.
- Avoid changing the URL of your website. And if you do, use the Yoast Redirect manager to redirect all links.
Why is SEO important for Ecommerce Marketing?
1. SEO Gives You More Visibility
Do you want both customers to find you when they search for products you sell on Google?
Web traffic is the number of internet users visiting a website. As you get more visibility and clicks on search engines, so is your web traffic.
Then, you need to implement some SEO best practices to get the results you want.
The more effective your search engine optimization techniques, the higher you rank.
Because 45% click goes to the first ranking page and the first five results take over 75% of these clicks.
2. You Gain More Authority With Time
By website authority, I mean search engines will award you more trust and refer more person searching content related to what you offer to your website.
You won’t see this benefit manifesting overnight. Just like human-to-human trust, you must earn it.
The more you increase your use of the best SEO techniques and practices, the more authoritative you become in your niche.
And of course, more customers become loyal to you.
4. SEO Helps You Create A Smooth User Experience
In the pursuit of ranking high on search engine result pages, you automatically make your website better.
Because it makes you spend time creating content and optimizing for search engines’ accessibility.
When you take the extra steps to contact a website and SEO expert to make your website responsive (mobile friendly), you are making it usable for devices of all kinds.
Increasing your website speed reduces your bounce rate and encourage users to stay longer on your website.
As you do all the above, you are creating a better user experience for your website visitors.
So you can see how important SEO is important to your eCommerce business.
SEO Terminologies You Should Be Familiar With
1. Search Queries
When you make a search on Google to get relevant answers, we call that information (whether a single or group of words), search queries.
So the next time you search for black shoes on Google. The phrase keyword, “Black Shoes” is the search query.
2. Web Crawling
Web crawling is the process of bots searching through website content for updates.
They copy as many links and content available on a website.
Web crawlers identify themselves with hosting servers to avoid restrictions.
While Google calls their bot, “Googlebot”; Bing and Yahoo call theirs “BingBot”.
Since crawlers always visit, one of the best SEO practices is to publish and update often.
3. Web Indexing
Web indexing is sorting information crawled by bots into the search database.
The database stores information such as tags and image alt attributes during indexing.
And methods each search engine uses differ and are non-disclosed.
But indexing occurs in two ways–Forward and Inverted.
4. Web Directories
A web directory is a collection of links arranged in alphabet or category order. They were the standard before the creation of search engines.
For example, a shoemaking business appears under the fashion category in listings.
By appearing in authority web directories, your business gains more credibility and trust.
Search Engine Optimization Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Hire an SEO Expert?
An SEO expert is a trained professional who helps to improve website visibility on search engines results pages.
If you are in for a serious profit-making business, you want to consider hiring an SEO expert to help you audit your website pages and increase your site ranking.
What is Search Engine Optimization Cost?
A good deal of SEO professionals can offer you premium services for your ecommerce website like:
- Website Design and Content Review
- Keyword Analysis and Research
- Content Writing and Publish
So, the price differs for many reasons.
Are SEO and SEM the Same?
SEO differs from SEM.
SEO is Search Engine Optimization, which refers to optimizing your ecommerce website to rank high on search pages.
SEM is Search Engine Marketing, which refers to promoting your ecommerce business on search engines and its networks.
Unlike SEM, you don’t pay to rank high organically on search engines. You do so by optimizing with the best search engine optimization techniques.
Conclusion On SEO Best Practices
Also, I would like to mention that following the best SEO practices is a worthy investment.
It will deliver massive results in the long term.
So, contact us now to build your eCommerce website that sells and ranks in the Nigerian market.